Friday, August 29, 2008

Aspirations of a 19 year old

I found this just a moment ago. I wrote it on July 25, 2006. I love how idealistic I was then. Brings back good memories:

I really think I want to make movies for a living. Or write. Or write movies. I think it's because I like the idea of creating something. The thought of being able to put what's in my head into words or images really excites me.

It's not just that. If it was then I would just keep a diary or something. The idea of sharing my thoughts, my views, my stories, with others is what really makes me want to be a filmmaker, writer, etc.

Film is the more powerful medium now. Words are best used for philosophical theses and scientific reports, but images are more powerful when telling a story. No matter how great (or pitiful) the dialogue of a film, images are the first thing that come to mind when recalling it.

In "A Streetcar Named Desire," the most powerful image that comes to mind is that of Brando standing on the sidewalk, shouting that infamous line. It's not the word, "Stella," that is imprinted in the mind. It is how Brando says "Stella." The obvious torment in his face - those raw, animalistic expressions - those are the images that I always remember...and no amount of words could convey emotion on that level.

No comments: